Vacancy Number: TM/BECA/06/2013
Biosciences eastern and central Africa (BecA)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 3 years contract with the possibility of renewal
Base salary starting from USD 75,000 per annum depending on skills and experience, with an attractive international benefits package (tax free*).
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to enhance the roles livestock play in pathways out of poverty in developing countries. ILRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership of 15 centres working with many partners for a food-secure future. ILRI has two main campuses in East Africa and other hubs in East, West and Southern Africa and South, Southeast and East Asia. www.ilri.org.
CGIAR is a global agricultural research partnership for a food-secure future. Its science is carried out by 15 research centres that are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. www.cgiar.org.
ILRI also manages the Biosciences eastern and central Africa (BecA) Hub at ILRI, the centre for excellence in modern plant and animal biology in Africa. BecA is an initiative developed within the framework of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)/ African Union African Biosciences initiative. It consists of a Hub based on the ILRI campus in Nairobi, Kenya and a network of regional nodes and other affiliated laboratories and organizations throughout the region. The BecA Hub facilities are world class, including a range of molecular, plant transformation, and genomics laboratories and equipment (e.g. 454 sequencing, Biosafety level 3 laboratory, plant growth facilities). The Hub hosts and conducts research in crop, microbe and livestock areas where new developments in science offer promise to address previously intractable problems constraining Africa’s development. Capacity building is a major goal of all activities. The scope covers agriculture and food security and their intersections with human health and nutrition, and the sustainable use of Africa’s natural resources. Further information is available at http://hub.africabiosciences.org/
The Position: ILRI seeks to recruit a Technology Manager to provide support to the BecA Hub Director towards the overall management of the BecA program; oversee the management of the laboratory infrastructure, facilitate research, research-related services and capacity building through strategic planning, acquisition, technical coordination, application and monitoring of new technologies within the BecA-ILRI Hub and outside; to lead and manage the genomics and bioinformatics groups. This is an international appointment reporting to the Director of the BecA-ILRI Hub.
- Provide support to the BecA Hub Director towards the overall management of the BecA program.
- Lead the laboratory management team with a specific focus on maintaining very high quality facilities, equipment, technologies and core competencies at the Hub.
- Develop strategies and policies and form partnerships to acquire and implement the latest technologies appropriate to the Hub and the region.
- Lead and manage the research and technologies-related service units (the Sequencing, Genotyping and Proteomics Unit and the Central Core Unit), and promote the continuing professional development and training of staff in these units.
- Lead and manage the genomics and bioinformatics groups at the Hub to provide support to various research themes within and outside the Hub. Establish and manage other research-related services Units.
- Manage the Laboratory Management Information System (LIMS).
- Advise Hub management on required changes in biosciences research technologies.
- To initiate, lead and contribute to various research projects, and to contribute to resource mobilization by the Hub.
- In conjunction with the Institutional Biosafety Committee and Occupational Health and Safety Office, provide oversight of laboratory safety including BSL2 and BSL3 facilities.
- Provide technical support and training to African scientists and partners on appropriate technologies.
- Actively promote BecA-ILRI Hub research programs, capacity building opportunities, research-related services and training facilities within the region.
- PhD in modern biological sciences (cell biology, molecular biology, biotechnology, biochemistry or genomic sciences) with broad experience and interest in biosciences research.
- Work experience of at least 5 years in laboratory management, and extensive experience of biosafety in BSL 2 and 3 laboratories.
- In-depth knowledge and experience of a wide range of bioscience technologies including new and advanced applications of modern biology and equipment requirements.
- Experience in creating new scientific infrastructure to support biosciences research and establishing new research projects.
- Proven skills in mentoring, training and supervising scientists, postgraduate students and technicians.
- Record of scientific achievements, including publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Extensive experience of the technology transfer/ capacity building in developing countries to implement and adapt novel technologies to facilitate research.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to maintain excellent working relations with project leaders, scientists, technical staff and other research partners.
- Sound understanding of potential ethics and governance issues in research.
Position level: Scientist Level 3.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal contingent upon individual performance and funding.
Terms of appointment: ILRI offers a competitive international and salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
*Benefits and salary are tax free subject to compliance with tax regulations of country of citizenship.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae: a list of publications and names and addresses (including telephone, fax and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position title and reference number: REF: TM/BECA/06/2013 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 31 August 2013.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer. Suitably qualified women and developing country citizens are particularly encouraged to apply.
More ILRI jobs
Subscribe by email to ILRI jobs alert